I may be the only one, but I find that I’m able to really feel at ease and be myself when I am around my pets. I also tend to talk to them as if they were real people. Many of my characters have pets of their own, so I thought this might be a bit of a fun exercise to do. That is my dog in the picture. She is a Boston Terrier named Peewee and I love her with all my heart. (:
This picture was taken by my lovely sister, Katie. (I don’t really have an eye for photography, sadly, orz)
Prose From Pictures: Pets
Write a scene between your character and their pet. It can be any kind of pet (a dog, a cat, a snake, a bird, even a goldfish if you can think of something interesting.) Maybe write a piece that has your character ‘treating’ their pet for the day. (For example, I like to take Peewee on long car rides when I come home from college because I know she really likes them.) If your character doesn’t like animals, maybe write about them pet-sitting for a friend for the day.
Questions To Ask Yourself
- Why did your character choose this particular animal for a pet? How long have they had them? What’s the pet’s personality?
- Does your character tend to spoil their pet and treat them like a baby? Or do they treat them more like a roommate?
- Is there anything about their pet that maybe gets on your character’s nerves, as much as they love them? (For instance, as much as I love Peewee, I get annoyed by how stubborn she can be sometimes)
- Does your character tend to converse with their pet as if they were a real person? What kinds of things do they ‘talk’ about with their pet?
- What kind of activities does your character tend to do with their pet?